CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentines Love!

I wasn't organized enough to request work off for Valentine's day/night. So on Saturday morning-ish, we decided to go classy, and hit up the local IHOP, Dad-style!!!! ;) My dad's one of IHOP's top 100 fans, I think, and I think Grandpa's close up there too. What's not to like, right?
Well, Eliza didn't agree. She's still fighting a yucky cold with a bad cough and stuffy nose. At least she's not feverish anymore. So she wasn't in the best of moods, but we enjoyed a scrumptious brunch anyways.

We just tried to laugh off the interruptions and tantrums during our Valentine's "Date" when Eliza screamed and started busting out the tears when we tried to wipe her face, change her diaper, or not let her pour the syrup on the bench.

She made it through a good half hour of breakfast, but she wasn't hungry (might have had something to do with the PB&J sandwich I gave her a 1/4 of on the drive over. Smart, right?), so Steve and I then tagged team for most of the rest of the breakfast, letting Eliza wander outside in the bushes (this may not sound fun to you, but it's a blast for Eliza) while the other parent ate.

We would wave to each other through the window.
So not the most romantic of circumstances. But that's parenthood, right? And it was nice to have a "Family date" too! Don't worry, we KNOW that we're supposed to get babysitters and have couple dates too.

Steve was sweet and surprised me with a yummy steak dinner during my dinner break from work at 8:30 and had made a yummy steak and au gratin potatoes and broccoli and gave me a back massage before I went back to work.

I gave Steve a Pinneapple (a manly form of flowers, no?) some of his favorite candy and a mini strawberry cheesecake. Trying to buy his love!

(This is Eliza's camera smile. We say, 'Liza smile with your mouth! and she does that. Funny girl!)

And the most important part of Valentine's Day, is, of COURSE, the celebration of my MOMMA's birthday!

She's such a giver that she always sends us Valentine gifts on HER birthday. She always made Valentine's day special for us.

I remember coming home from school or soccer in high school and going into my room and finding cute new valentine socks lying on my bed or a new belt or festive red t-shirt, just in time to sport on Valentine's day. And it didn't stop after I moved out. Her valentine's day care packages have been the BEST!

I love my mom.

I treasure the intimate relationship we share.

It's quite a novel thing to be able to maintain such a closeness even though we haven't lived nearby for about 6 years now. I depend on my several-times-a-week phone conversations with her to keep me going. Right before and right after I had Eliza, mom put up with me calling her every day for advice, comfort, friendship, nursing wisdom, and self-esteem boosters.

When I haven't believed in myself, especially as a mother, my mom believed for the both of us.

She's my best friend and has probably done more for me than any other one person in my life.

And my love for her and appreciation and understanding for how much she loved me has grown immensely deeper since I had my own daughter and have been trying to learn how to be a mother like she has been for me and my sisters and brother.

I am so grateful that my mom is my best friend.

She has done so many amazing things with her life. I respect her as a ...
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, a faithful wife, devoted daughter and sister, selfless mother, hardcore athlete, dog trainer, a mighty woman, dedicated member of the church who never stops improving,
who has the vivacity, energy, and work ethic of a true heroine.

I love you, Mom! Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comments:

jenaprn08 said...

Wow. I am lucky to have such a generous and sweet daughter, who has become a wonderful friend.

Lilypie