CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Wanna fight?

My favorite class at the gym these days is a cycling/boxing combo class that lasts an hour and 15 minutes. It is awesome!

Cycling makes my legs burn until I think they're about to fall off, and then it's finally time for boxing!!

The picture above is of me showing off my hand wraps for Steve after I got home from work the other day.

I told Robby that I was doing these boxing classes, and his response was, "Poor Steve."

Come on! I promise to only use my powers for good. Punching the guts out of the bags in class is an awesome stress reliever and gets out a lot of my pent-in frustration.

At one point in the class, after 15 reps of 2 jabs, 1 cross, and 2 under-cuts, the instructor had us flex our arm muscles and tense them as much as we could. We had to hold it for what seemed like forever, but in actuality it was probably only 1 or 2 minutes. I don't know what purpose this serves besides to show the class how puny my arms look and to make everyone else feel better about their rippling muscle tone. I've always had spindly arms, but I think I might hide them under sleeves next class to avoid any further humiliation.

The other funny thing about the class is the unspoken competition and sizing each other up. Or maybe no one else does this besides me... We don't ever do sparring or anything, but I do know that I NEVER ever want to go against superwoman, Alice, who has a bunch of tattoos and a boys' hair cut and who yells into her punching bag while she pulverizes it. But I know I can't be the weakest in there! I at least could take the little 13 yr old boy who hasn't hit puberty yet! So one down, 18 to go.

My favorite quote from my instructor on Friday, though, was this yell:

"Come on people! This isn't a SPANKING class! This is a BOXING class!"

I think I'm ready to watch Million Dollar Baby for some more inspiration.

3 comments:

Steve Morrison said...

I'm signing up for a running class. Catch me now!

Barbara said...

I like your "mean momma" look, Amy. Seems to have scared Steve. :)

Your class sounds so fun. Punching an inanimate object can be such a pleasant release! Way to go.

Just Katy said...

That class looked crazy intense. I'm not brave enough for that. I like to hang around the wimpy peace loving yoga types because I always feel like I could take them out, no problem.

Lilypie