CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Going under the knife and down the ear canal...


*not a pic of Eliza

I found this article about "C-Section Moms Less Likely to Have More Kids" interesting. Including the comments. The lack of Oxytocin rush being released made sense to me. . . I didn't have a C-section, but I did have a very long, stressful, painful labor. A couple of my doctors talked about sending me to an OR for a C-section, but I'm so glad that my awesome doctor and my doula and my Mom believed in Eliza and me and stood there with me through it all!


I think I would have really felt like I'd failed or there was something wrong with my body if I had had to go get a C-section after all of the work and labor (though, I certainly wouldn't think that about someone else who got a C-section).

By the way, I'm the only one I know who used a doula during their labor, but it's a documented fact that the use of a doula reduces the risk of a C-section. For a little while during my labor, Eliza started having heart decelerations (that's when the docs started talking c-section), but my doula had me try a different position, and Eliza did great after that!

I still don't feel ready to return to the birthing center any time soon, but that has more to do with remembering how much work it is to care for a newborn and the nausea from pregnancy rather than the dread of labor.

I also found this article about "Navigating the Earache" very interesting and helpful. Eliza has had one diagnosed ear infection and was put on antibiotics. However, the doctor who wrote this article about the use/overuse of antibiotics and whether they actually help kids get over the ear infections any faster or less painfully. He made some good points. What do you guys think?

3 comments:

jenaprn08 said...

Interesting reading...

Kevin, Jenni and Conor said...

As a c-section mom, in NO WAY do I feel like I failed. I labored for 30 hours, pushed for 3 more, tried foreceps, and ended with an emergency section. It was an unexpected outcome, terribly scary and not at all what I had planned. No doula for me, but had a midwife and tried to change positions, but the heart rate kept dropping thanks to a cord wrapped around my son's chest. I totally get the article, and have had a really hard time thinking about having another kid after such a terrible experience.

Amy said...

yeah, that totally makes sense to me! like i said, I would never think that someone else had failed by needing a c-section-- ultimately, we're all just grateful for the outcome of our healthy babies! Congrats on making it through an emergency c-section, jenni! and you're baby is ADORABLE by the way!

Lilypie