CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Back to the Books

As many of you know, I graduated from Brigham Young University last year with my Bachelors of Science in Social Work. I've always wanted to get my masters, and I think it's time.

Luckily, if you have a BSW (Bachelors of Social Work), you can apply for a one year Masters of Social Work program and it's called the Advanced Standing Program! The undergraduate course work is viewed as the equivalent of the first year of the Masters Program, and the 33 credits of the BSW program are transferred into the MSW transcript.

So... I have been doing lots of research about different Advanced Standing programs here on the east coast. My list included...

Virginia Commonwealth University Fordham University George Mason University

Columbia University New York Universit
y Howard University

Brigham Young University University of South Carolina

Some of the factors of greatest concern for me (us) were COST, cost, cost of tuition, cost of living, cost of credits, Location, family, and the actual quality of the social work program... and how likely I would be to actually get in.

So for the purposes of limiting my application fee budget, I narrowed my list down to 3 schools! Which are... drum roll...
  • University of South Carolina Columbia, SC
  • Howard University Washington, DC
  • Fordham University NYC
My senior year of high school I swore that I would move out of South Carolina and never come back. Who knew in just 6 years, I'd be deeply interested in the idea of renting the house next door to my parents!! Apparently it's for rent to own right now for only $900/mnth!

I'm thinking of opening the back door and saying, "'Liza! Can you find Oma? Where's Oma?" and letting her run free next door! Beautiful, right? Obviously, a grad school program will be intense, so it would be huge to have my family's support and extra baby-sitting options!USC also has a really good social work program. The recruiter told me that many BYU students like the diversity that USC offers them in comparison to UT. I thought that was funny. Their curriculum is a little bit more Research/Analytical heavy, but I think I should be able to take 3 waiver test to at least get out of a couple of them.
Fordham University is a really great social work school in NYC, and I would actually be going to class in Lincoln Center! So cool! Steve and I LOVE NYC and have always wanted to move back there someday. The cost of living is high, BUT there are great illustration opportunities for Steve (unlike SC). But luckily, with Steve's job, he could work from home doing basically the same thing he does now as a freelancer for his same company. I LOVE Fordham's curriculum and would also LOVE my field clinicals too working back in Harlem or the Bronx again.
Howard University is the most expensive but probably the best school on my list. The Meldau family ultimate plan is for us all to end up living somewhat close to eachother, so we've tentatively decided on Washington, DC. It has great illustration opportunities even though it's expensive, but it's also a little more family friendly than NYC.

So I thought I'd get things started off right, and instead of working on my personal statements and applications, I decided to procrastinate and write a blog post instead!

I think I already know what most people's opinions would be on which school they think I should go to... BUT just for fun, what would your vote be?

And anyone feel like being a generous, altruistic benefactor and sponsoring my grad school education??? Yeah, these are the days one wishes for a fairy godmother.

9 comments:

jenaprn08 said...

I think all three schools are great options.It will be fun to see where you end up. I don't want to vote, but I have to admit that I will be able to be more actively involved in supporting you through grad school if you are closer...

Leigh This Way said...

Oh, I know exactly how you feel. What I wouldn't give to go to school in good old Columbia, SC. Granted we don't have any kids so they aren't missing their "vovo" but I feel like I miss so much in my nieces lives. I know that this is gonna be a tough decision, especially if you get into all three. Good luck!

Jared and Jess said...

Good for you for going back to school! That is awesome. They all sounds like the have pros to each. Keep us posted...

Abby said...

Well, the thing is...
I can see positive things about all of those locations.
NYC would be cool because it's NYC and it's so diverse. There are of course a ton of jobs for both you and Steve.
DC would be nice because we are more likely to come see you there. You're not as far away. And you would be closer to Katy, so we could see both of you and wouldn't have to choose.
SC would be awesome because I would get to see you every day. I could come over and see you, Steve and Eliza whenever I would want to. I could come over to your house for dinner or vice versa. I wouldn't miss you as much, and we could have more casual time together, as opposed to when it's really concentrated and we feel like we have to do something because we're visiting.
So, I will like wherever you live, but I think the only person who knows without a shadow of a doubt what is right, is Heavenly Father.
Good Luck!

Sarah H said...

Good Luck with your applications. We'll be paying off Josh's loans for a while. :-(

Barbara said...

It looks like you have been very busy researching schools. How exciting! I vote for a school in California. :)

eNJay & B said...

amy,

i'm really excited for you. grad school has been on my list for quite awhile. but there are many things on my list.

it seems like you have three great options. personally i'd most enjoy living in nyc (and, of course, it would be great to have friends there!). howard would be really cool too. i love dc, and it would be a really fun city to live in. but it would be tough to pass up the family help in sc. my experience has been that you usually end up going where you (1) get accepted to and (2) offers you the most financial assistance.

good luck with the process. i hope you have the opportunity to choose.

Libbi said...

I absolutely LOVE how your family friends are such politicians and all gave you a non-answer (does that mean you should choose the DC area??) They love you enough not to want to interfere with you making a good decision for you and your family. I like that. But, I am not so close to you and you will value my opinion the least and it will have no bearing whatsoever on your decision so I can say what I want (oh, and I'm an incredibly bossy, know-it-all, opinionated person but you should know that...)but I know so little about those programs even I have to admit I cannot give an opinion except this one...you will have the best experience and learn the most when you have less stress about the care of Eliza...and as a grandma who misses her grandson, I say...PICK SC!!!!!!!

花生豆花Alex said...

That's actually really cool!AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,做愛,成人遊戲,免費成人影片,成人光碟

Lilypie