CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Top Ten Myths about Mental Illness: #1

Source: PRNewswire

"Misconceptions about mental illness are pervasive, and the lack of understanding can have serious consequences for millions who have a psychiatric illness," according to NARSAD (or the National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression).

NARSAD is the largest not-for-profit organization raising and distributing funds for psychiatric research, and they surveyed mental health professionals nationwide to determine the most common myths about mental illness. NARSAD received 102 responses from the experts.

"Misconceptions about mental illness contribute to the stigma, which leads many people to be ashamed and prevents them from seeking help," said Constance Lieber, NARSAD President. "Dispelling these myths is a powerful step toward eradicating the stigma and allaying the fears surrounding brain disorders."

As many of you know, I have spent the last year and a half working with adults dealing with acute mental illnesses and related crises. I do individual and group counseling and case management stuff. I've had the chance to hear a lot of tragic stories and work with some amazing individuals.

I've worked with people with major depression, drug and alcohol addiction, homelessness, sexual abuse history (abused and abusers), domestic violence (both the abused and abusers), schizophrenia, and much more.
One of my supervisors forwarded this article title "Top Ten Myths about Mental Illness" to me, and I'd like to use it to open up a discussion on mental health, sharing my opinions on each of the 10 myths, one or two myths at a time for the next week or so.

Top Ten Myths about Mental Illness
Myth #1: Psychiatric disorders are not true medical illnesses like heart disease and diabetes. People who have a mental illness are just "crazy."

Fact: Brain disorders, like heart disease and diabetes, are legitimate medical illnesses. Research shows there are genetic and biological causes for psychiatric disorders, and they can be treated effectively.

I can't count how many times I've tried to convince my clients that they need to consider their mental illness as a disease, and that just like diabetes, you need to monitor your symptoms daily and use coping methods to counter-act those symptoms. And many of my clients say that they have never thought of it this way.

It hurts my heart to think about how many people believe this myth, that psychiatric disorders aren't real medical illnesses.

I think that many people who have never experienced serious mental illness believe
, perhaps not even consciously, that those who struggle with mental illness are just weaker or lazier than themselves, and that's why they are struggling. (I'll talk about this more later this week.)

There are real chemical imbalances. There are synapses on the nerves that are firing messages through the brain that are not getting to the right destinations. There are imbalanced seritonin levels. That is why there is psychiatric medication, which is a proven intervention for mental illness. (Intervention not cure)

From Web MD, "Experts believe genetic traits, along with stressful events, illness, medications, or other factors, can lead to an imbalance of certain brain chemicals called neurotransmitters, causing depression. "

There are many different conditions that can trigger these imbalances, though, such as chronic stressors, social stressors, drugs or alcohol use, hormones, recent child birth, long term diseases, and even types of infections.

(However, mental illnesses are classified into two seperate divisions in the DSMIV. There a mood disorders (Axis I) and thought disorders (Axis II). Mood disorders are like depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia. Thought disorders are personality disorders like Narcissistic, borderline personality disorder, and antisocial personality disorder. Thought disorders have less research supporting the effectiveness of medicine as the primary means of treatment. Insurance companies don't pay for medications related to Axis II disorders.)

But I look forward to continue to discuss this concept more later this week.

Thoughts? Anyone read this whole thing?

7 comments:

Joan said...

I forget that people still think this (that mental illness isn't a real disease). Thanks for being willing to educate!

bec said...

I had a close relative recently start acting so bizarre and had serious mental issues going and the main contributors were not eating or sleeping. I couldn't believe such a simple thing could change a person's behavior so drastically.
I've learned a lot more about the brain and mental issues in the past few years and I am curious to keep learning more. If I could be an expert in anything, I think it would be neurology. It is interesting how problems with someone's brain is viewed so differently than if someone has a problem with another organ.

Leigh This Way said...

I think that its really sad that in this time of amazing medical discoveries that there are so many people still thinking like their living in the 1700's and that believe a person is "weak" if they have a mental illness. I guess it comes from my education and also through personal experience (drug side effects) that really makes me understand that mental illnesses are just as serious as any other illness. This might sound harsh but the sad reality is that most of the time, these stigmas come from the misinformed/uneducated.

Just Katy said...

I read it all :) I think a lot of the problem relates to our culture's dislike of imperfection. We have very little tolerance for people who are sick in any way. We see sickness and disability as other. Our society has no system to support or assist those that need help due to natural circumstances of illness or handicap. Instead, we embrace rugged individualism and strength which is to our own detriment since we will ALL be sick, probably diabilitatingly sick multiple times in our lives.

jenaprn08 said...

I read it all! I didn't understand the difference between axis I and axis II disorders, that was interesting. Why don't people want to take medicine or get help? Well, I have seen people with lots of physical illnesses who don't want to take care of themselves either, so I agree with Katy. People just want to "tough it out" which doesn't make sense. We can choose to be healthier.

Unknown said...

I am glad you are sharing this information. I learned from your discussion. Mental health affects us all in many ways. We can help each other a lot.

Cole and Jenn said...

Thanks for your posting! I need to let Cole read it. I really appreciate your counseling to those who need your help. I had a really really good phsyciatrist(sp) in SC that told me the same thing, and because of her help, I worked off of my meds before I moved out here. Now I am on my own, with Cole trying his best to understand me. But because Dr. Kendall taught me, as you have yours, that I need to monitor my symptoms every day, I have been ok. Fresh air and exercise really helps. Many really don't understand all the different types of mentall illness and like you said, that it is a disease and chemical imbalance of the brain. It is absolutely AMAZING how our brains and bodies work. I have to say that phsycology and biology are my favorite subjects in college. I look forward to the other 9 myths!

Lilypie