CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 25, 2009

No More Buying New

Katy's Earth Day Post made me think about a post I recently read about on Mormon Feminist Housewives. It's called The Mini Compact Pledge.

Since Kate's post, I've been thinking about what we do as a family to reduce our deleterious impact on our dear Mother Earth. The Mini Compact Pledge, is a pledge that this women and her family make for six months from May 1st to Nov 1st.

"Here is the basic rule: No more buying new. There is a general exception for work-related and household necessities (including, obviously, food). Each person will define “necessity” (but don’t cheat and buy yourself a new outfit a week because, hey, you can’t go to work naked). In buying a necessity, buy the most environmentally-friendly option."

"The hardest part is making the decision to do it. You might struggle for a few weeks (so stay away from the shops) but then there is the most amazing sense of freedom. At some point, something strange happens and you realise you really don’t need anything. All of those little trappings are merely wants; and the craving for more will pass. You will discover a bigger bank balance and new depths of creativity. You will probably also find that Compact Karma will kick in - if you really need something, somehow, it will come to you."

I've honestly gone through some shopping addictions in my day, and have REALLY been proud of myself to realize that I have in many ways broken it (Spending too much on the grocery shopping is still a weak point for me.).

When I first read about this woman's pledge, I thought, "How ridiculous! That's impossible." BUT Check out her account from last year on her Year of Non-Consumerism. It's really interesting.

But especially in the past few months while Steve and I have been making an even more concerted effort to keep our expenses as minimal as possible, I realized that we are doing this in a lot of ways.

Eliza has mostly 2nd hand toys, and loves them and doesn't know the difference. A lot of the clothes we buy are 2nd hand, which we can get away with mostly because Mom buys them for us... But all of our furniture except one shelf and one love seat are either 2nd hand or been gifts to us.

And we are cool with that! (actually we're really proud of ourselves when we find freakin' awesome deals like that. Our friends offered us a TV last night, since ours is a teeny 13'' one.)

My parents, Aunt Barbara, and Aunt Joan and Uncle Dean have been great examples for me, on how to live lives without the insatiable drive for MORE! and to not feel the need to "keep up with" anyone else, but be humble and prioritized in their desires and efforts to be environmentally friendly and moderate about their consumerism.

It's a freeing sort of feeling to be able to not be seeking happiness from materials or belongings. That's a never ending drain, always needing the newest and prettiest. Not that I am anywhere near perfect at this, but I am going to make a pledge to NOT BUY NEW for the next 6 months.

Anyone want to try with me?? Any other thoughts?

2 comments:

Barbara said...

My next step to improve my consumer habits is to find a thrift store I like. I am eager to learn new ideas of how to be kinder to Mother Earth.

Just Katy said...

Great idea. I read this earlier but have been slow to comment. We've been avoiding buying anything new for a while and I feel a little self conscious about it but amazed at how long things really can last.
One wonderful thing about living in a smaller place, like our very cramped apartment is it makes me LOATH the idea of more stuff. More stuff is the LAST thing I want.

Lilypie