CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Just Can't Let Go...


I took this picture because I thought it was really cute how Eliza wouldn't let go of this balloon and gripped it even after she had drifted off to sleep. I went in to check on her and found her this way. Funny Girl!

My parents and a good friend from our church ward who's an interior decorator, designed a whole new gorgeous room for Eliza! It's AMAZING and perfect for a little girl! And it was done very low-budget too. I am more than pleased with the results!

The main reason we made the new room, though, was so Eliza's room could be right next to mine, instead of upstairs. This has resulted in Eliza's new habit of climbing into bed with me almost every morning. I have to admit that I love having her cuddle up to me and drift off to sleep... even though we don't necessarily get the most restful sleep that way!!!
P.S. Yes, you might have noticed that we still haven't quit the pacifiers aka "Baba's." It might be more Steve and My issue than Eliza's, but since she's gone through so much lately, especially in learning to sleep in two different households, we've not completely weened her off of the paci yet.

She has two very specific pacifiers, and her favorite she refers to as, Big Blue. The other day, I was laying her down for a nap after she'd fallen asleep in the car. She was not quite awake but still managed to mumble, "Big Blue," as I handed it to her and she snuggled into her pillow and drifted back to sleep.

I've heard a lot of different tips on weaning from the pacifier. Some are pretty wacky and others seem down-right cruel! Steve and I talk about it a lot. We're thinking that maybe after Eliza turns 3, we'll make a big deal out of it, and have her help us ship off her pacifiers to Katy's "new baby girl" that's due in July. Eliza's been REALLY excited about having a new baby girl cousin (Katy, no need to feel obligated to actually use the ones we may send to you- haha)! We just have been trying to be very in-tune with Eliza's emotional state before taking away her main comforting source altogether.

I personally sucked my fingers wayyyy longer than most kids do, and I remember quitting that as being the hardest thing I had done up to that point in my life!!! My parents tried everything to convince me to stop too!

I know some people have really strong feelings about this, and I remember seeing older kids with pacifiers and thinking, "Man, my kid will never be like that!" Now I'm having nightmares of a 12 yr old Eliza still harboring Big Blue! hehe.

For now Eliza's only allowed to have her pacifiers in the car, stroller, or bed. For now... Wish us luck!

3 comments:

Joan said...

So what do kids substitute for comfort once the pacifier is gone? By the way, her rooms looks very princess-like with the draped fabric and the color.

Jennifer said...

I think if you are consistent about only letting her have "big blue" for bed and nap time, she will give them up eventually.

Sarah H said...

What a fancy bedroom. You need to post photos of the whole room. I love to see how people decorate. Sleeping kids are so angelic.

Lilypie