CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Busy days and children's media



Steve and I both have been very busy at work lately-especially this last week.

We try to keep Eliza's schedule pretty balanced and routine if at all possible, but I know she's felt the change too.

Steve, for example, was given some edits by the VP at his work at 1pm today and is expected to complete about 30 spot illustrations by tomorrow at 1pm when she (the VP) wants to leave for her weekend vacation and wants to take her edit with her.

Steve had already put in 8.5 hours of work by 3pm today and had to come home so I could get to work. But he was still able to get about 20 of them done by the time Eliza woke up from her nap at like 4:45 (she took a REALLY long nap- too much puddle splashing?).

I haven't gotten off work before 1am for the last ~2 weeks. My shift is scheduled for 3:30p-12am. But I still LOVE my job, as hectic as it can be.

Steve's work is just going to get busier next week.

So Eliza and I are going to head down south for some extra TLC from the grandparents, Aunt Abby, and the poodles. We're REALLY excited. I worked an extra shift last week, so that I could take off next Thursday and have a whole week down there.
Eliza has even been practicing saying Oma and grandpa, and I think she's got it down. We've been using the pictures from her "Who Loves Baby" book. It'll be fun to go try them out for real!

I'm ready for my SC fix.... and to have my mommy take care of me (and for Dad to take care of Eliza- hehe. They have quite the bond.). Mom, Dad, and Abby have just as busy a schedule, but I'm looking forward to taggin along for evenings of soccer practice with Dad and Abby, cross-country races on Wednesday nights, and errands, long talks, and yummy healthy meals with my momma!
Anywayz, amid the business, we worry about Eliza having too much TV/movie time. We had a check-up last week with the pediatrician, and they recommend no more than an hour a day, which makes sense to me. I found this little quiz on NY Times Wellness Blog called The Well Child Activity Blog

It's a quick, 10 question quiz that tests your knowledge on what amounts are appropriate for kids' media exposure, etc and also tests your knowledge on national averages. I only scored a 4/10, but it asks you things about like 9 yr olds and teens, which I'm definitely not ready for yet.
Two questions that I found interesting were...

-If you add up all the time kids spend watching TV, playing video games, chatting on the internet, and using other forms of media, it would equal a full time job.

and

-Kids who spend a lot of time on computer and engaged in media activities do not end up spending less time with family, friends, or other leisure pursuits. In fact, those kids who are most engaged with the media are the ones whose lives tend to be the most full.

Also while we were at the pediatrician's for Eliza's well-check, we found out that Eliza is 50th % for weight and height and 75th % for head circumference. She's not quite as enormous as she was when she was a baby, but at least she's proportional!

And we keep being told that Eliza's verbal ability, both spoken and with her signing, is extremely advanced for her age. I think this is really fun because I love being able to communicate with her. She really has very few tantrums (knock on wood), although, sometimes I have to remind her that she knows how to communicate and ask for crackers instead of just screaming for them. She'll get quiet for a second and then sign cracker, please, and thank you. Beautiful.

On another note, Eliza is in love with her Daddy of late. During the day, when it's just her and me, she'll spot a picture of Steve somewhere or hear the mention of Daddy, etc., and she runs to the door grasping for the door knob and say, "Dada?" and makes the sign for Daddy to me and says, "Go?"
When we pick up Steve from work or on a lunch break, Eliza just beams and SQUIRMS with pleasure and excitement to see her Dada. I love it! She went through a rough month and a half where she demanded only I hold her, carry her, comfort her, etc., and I'm really glad that's over.

3 comments:

Leigh This Way said...

Wow! It seems like life can get so crazy especially when there's a baby involved. Its great that Eliza's so smart but that's not a big surpise now, is it?! You said you were going down on Thursday. Does that mean you'll be there this weekend?? Preston and I are leaving today to go to Lexington and it'd be great to see you sometime. There's a Relief Society dinner and broadcast on Saturday and it'd be really neat to get a chance to catch up. Hope to see you there! Have tons of fun with your familY!

Just Katy said...

Wow 40 spots in 24 hours. That's insane.

I hope you and Eliza have a good trip! I'm sad I'm missing out.

jenaprn08 said...

I think my kids learned to love time with their Dad because I always got excited when "Daddy" came home. You do a good job with that, too, Amy! We can't wait to see you...when will you arrive?

Lilypie