CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Graduation Celebration


So my big accomplishment of the week (or perhaps of my LIFE) is that I have officially graduated from Brigham Young University on August 16th. These last few weeks/months have been quite challenging for me, even though I was completing two of my easier courses.

This was obviously due to the fact that much of my studying, quizzing, notecard-making, and reading was done while balancing a newborn in my lap or bouncing her in her chair with my foot or while breastfeeding her! SO! ::Big sigh of relief:: I am done!

I did not have the finality of walking across a stage and being applauded by family members and greeted with BYU colored flowers, but nevertheless am finished (and don't feel like doing any more school for a while- at least not with a 3 mnth old).

I now officially have my Bachelors of Science in Social Work, and I'd like to personally-- or maybe impersonally via blog-- thank all of the people who helped me get to this point!! Especially... Mom and Dad, Steve, and Grandpa Bob and Grandma Ruth. I'll forever be in your debt! (literally and figuratively ;) )




I especially like how in this picture you can see my over-flowing trash can, recycling bin and messy kitchen in the background!! Very accurate! If the angle were just a little different you could probably also see my kitchen sink which was probably full of dishes! I think this picture was taken like an hour before I went to take my Humanities final about a month ago. I was trying to cram in names of post-modern artists, romantic poets, baroque musicians, Dada philosophers and existentialist authors. Luckily for me, Eliza was (and still is) quite enchanted with our ceiling fan-- it's like a giant, speedy mobile!

In case any of you are wondering. I plan on applying for a couple positions at various social service agencies in Charlottesville working with youth in foster care or mentally ill or something similar to that with flexible hours like weekends or evenings. So wish me luck-- we'll see how it goes!


Otherwise, we took a family trip to the library yesterday, and I am glorying in the opportunity to read whatever I choose to... Current projects include White Teeth (recommendation from Katy), a new translation of Freud's Interpretation of Dreams, Sick: The Untold Story of America's Health Care Crisis, Consumed: How Markets Corrupt Children, Infantilize Adults, and Swallow Citizens Whole, and Young at Heart: 120 Things You can do right now to give your older dog a longer, healthier life.

Steve also found these recorded course lectures for me from professors at Stanford, so I'm listening to a course called "Feminism and the Future of Women." I'm excited!! Who knows, maybe I'll even get around to reading the new Harry Potter book one of these days!

Now I just hope 'Liza starts taking some great naps!

3 comments:

jenaprn08 said...

We are so proud of our graduate!

Just Katy said...

Hurray! And I think one of the best parts of graduating is being able to really read again. Such a happy thing.

Steve Morrison said...

No more days of school!
No more days of sorrow!
No more days at this old dump,
And I won't be back tomorrow!

Lilypie