CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 29, 2008

I'm SO glad when daddy comes home...

Today I wanna give a shout out to the other cutie in my life-- not Eliza, but STEVE!
This picture was taken the night that Steve proposed to me.

Now I know I'm a little tardy in the blogging world as far as Father's Day posts go, but June 15th was the day after my birthday and 2 days before vacation, so I've had little time to blog since then.

I started at my job when Eliza was almost 5 months old. I was TERRIFIED to be leaving her for my 8 hour shifts 2 days a week at first. And honestly my heart still aches sometimes when I say "bye bye" to 'Liza as I head to work. However, one of the big things that has made my working not only an enriching experience for me but also for Eliza, is that I always leave Eliza home with her daddy.
(This picture was taken just about a week after I started working. Eliza is 5 1/2 months old.)

Before we even got pregnant, Steve and I dreamed about splitting our work week in order for us to each get time in the adult world with careers that we had passions for- Steve's art and my social work- not because of the fortune we'd make from them (haha), but the love we had for our jobs.

It's been a dream come true that we have found a way to split the load of parenting and work for pay. This also became a priority in a different way as soon as we had Eliza. Steve came to the unsurprising realization that his heart ached as soon as he had to go back to work and started missing out on 8 hours of Eliza's life every day during the week. (The division of labor in the home is a big issue for each family. Check out a great article that Katy posted as Sharing is Caring on her blog.)

Many of you know that it can be hard for dad's to bond with breastfed newborns... and it can be hard for hovering mothers to "let go" long enough for dads to figure out what's what when it comes to caring for their own kid. There's just seems to be so much trial and error with raising kids-- especially your first!

I have been sooo grateful to see the beautiful, nurturing and often quirky relationship Eliza and Steve have developed with each other.

With me out of the way, they watch Mozart operas. Eliza already knows how to "conduct" music whenever people are singing loud around us or there's loud music on (although it unfortunately resembles a nazi salute a little bit).

Eliza also learned how to crawl and walk during Steve's weekend direction. What are the odds, right? I'm there 5 days a week, Steve 2 and he's still the lucky one!!

Eliza often wakes up calling, "Daddaw, daddaw" because she knows whose cheerful morning face will greet her bouncing self (besides the kitty).

Steve and Eliza have a peaceful and playful understanding. I love the calm, kind, soft-spoken Dad that Steve is with Eliza. Lovingly letting her tug on his nose and ears as she learns her body parts, and singing Baby Beluga off key as he rocks her to sleep. Reading her his precious picture books in hopes that someday, her attention span will actually allow them to make it through a whole Peter Sis, Paul Zelinsky, or Maurice Sendak in one sitting.

So all of the wonderful benefits of Steve and Eliza's Daddy/Daughter time outweigh the mismatched, wild haired, care-free states I often find my baby in upon my return home from work. Like this pictures I took on my dinner break on Father's Day:
(I put Eliza's hair up in elastics and bows in the mornings and for church, but often by the end of the day, especially after "wrestling" with daddy, the hair bows end up as casualties!)

And this picture that Steve took of Eliza today. She found my workout shorts in the laundry pile and managed to put her head through one of the legs and the waist band was around her waist...
(Our little Red Riding Hood...Shorts)

Direct quote from Steve: "I was worried she was going to get tangled in the shorts or something, but her head popped right through like she knew just what she was doing!" (I mentioned in my last post about how Eliza loves to try to put everything on her head to play dress up with).

When I leave for work, I know that my daughter will be fed and physically nourished, attentively watched, and most importantly loved by her caregiver. I love our little family and am grateful for a husband who shares the role of nurturer for our daughter.

And seriously, I don't know how single parents do it. I really don't know if my children would live to adulthood if it were up to just me to raise them....!!!

2 comments:

Barbara Irwin said...

Eliza is very fortunate to have two wonderful parents! No wonder she is so cute and entertaining. :)

jenaprn08 said...

What a great tribute to Daddy Steve! I think you two make a great team. I feel so grateful that my grandchild has such wonderful parents who are teaching her great things.
Moms and Dads have different parenting styles, but different doesn't mean better or worse, it just means, different. And kids learn from both.
I am glad your schedules are melding well. You are busy, but making great things happen in your family.

Lilypie