CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Bubble gum bubble games: Help us play together!

Today Eliza and I spent about a half hour on the love seat that's pushed up next to our sliding door. This is the longest time lately that Eliza has spent in one spot unless she's asleep or strapped down (in her carseat or booster seat)!

Here is a rough division of how our time was spent:

10 minutes were spent with her laughing at the kitty who was exploring our balcony. She would bounce up and down with glee and GIGGLE every time she spotted him through the screen door.

10 minutes were spent watching me chew gum and blow bubbles. She would laugh whenever she saw my gum and try to grab the bubbles I managed to blow as fast as I could to keep her entertained. She tried sticking out her tongue every once in a while to see if she had magical bubble-producing-powers also.

10 minutes were spent blowing real bubbles after I ran out of breathe and tongue muscle to keep blowing bubble gum bubbles. This was the cutest thing EVER. I've tried bubbles before with Eliza and they freaked her out! She still wasn't quite sure about them this time, but she definitely started to warm up to them. She would watch them float by her and she would jump a little when they'd pop against her nose or cheek. She laughed so hard when the kitty came over and started chasing them. Then she got more brave and started reaching for them and trying to catch them. After each one she reached for would pop, I saw this look of deep concentration and focus come over Eliza's face as she waited for me to blow more and would try once again to catch one of these evasive shimmering balls.

I started thinking, if only these things that are so fascinating to Eliza would just stay. Solid. Lasting. So we could carry it around in the diaper bag or a pocket to entertain her whenever she grew bored or restless. But I guess that's part of their wonder. Their transitory nature is what makes them so exciting and magical. But I still wish I had more I could pull out whenever I needed them.

The rest of the time was spent standing up, sliding down, standing up, sliding down, slapping the window, yelling at the kitty, making funny noises with our mouths, lips, tongues, and singing!

It was a really sweet and cute bloggable time, I thought. But we can't find our camera (it's probably in the same mysterious abyss that Eliza's left robeez shoe is hiding in). And I'm realizing that some of the times that would make the best "bloggable moments" aren't actually that bloggable... if you know what I mean.

I REALLY enjoyed this little interaction that Eliza and I shared. It was playtime! Where anything goes!

I feel like these days, I have to be SUPER exciting in order to keep Eliza's attention. Otherwise she'll go find something to entertain herself with.

I guess it's time for me to check out another library book because I'm trying to think up new fun games or interactions to try out with Eliza where it's me and her, PLAYING TOGETHER.

So I'm calling out every one who might read this blog to help us out! What games or ideas do you have for us?

Some of our favorites are story time, puzzles, peek-a-boo, and singing with hand motions. What are/were some of your favorites? Or something you haven't tried but think sounds fun??
*The illustration on top is one that Steve did from the picture of Eliza in her first bath and added a few more creative touches to it for this week's illustration friday post.

2 comments:

Abby said...

That background is a little more exciting than a pink blanket.

jenaprn08 said...

I think packing is going to be an exciting time for Eliza. She will probably love boxes! Start getting boxes for packing and she will figure out how to climb in them, pull them over, push them around...etc. You can imagine the possibilities. You may be able to get a little work done and keep her entertained...remember how you guys liked playing with those big refrigerator boxes?

Lilypie