CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 8, 2007

Best First Day Ever!!

So today was my first real day training at my job. It went pretty well-- I didn't feel too overwhelmed, and I don't think I annoyed too many people while shadowing them. But the definite highlight of my day came at 3pm- Acudetox, pictured below:

Yes, that was my ear for 45 minutes today.

Part of my training included participating in the Acupuncture Detoxification Group that my work (the Mental Health Wellness Recovery Center) employs in order to target some of the outer ears' reflex points to help ease addictions.

A lot of the mentally ill clients we're working with also come in with substance abuse problems along with their mental health problems, so this treatment helps ease their detox. But it also is great just for relaxation too, and the even better news is that I get to be trained to lead the group later on!

Steve asked me how it didn't hurt. To me it just felt kinda like putting on earrings.

So from 3-3:45, I got to lean back and read a 1988 National Geographic article on Nepal while listening to sounds of the ocean and hopefully conquering my Ben & Jerry's Phish Food addiction once and for all (jk)! Not bad for a first day, huh?

3 comments:

jenaprn08 said...

When do you work again?

Abby said...

Yuck! That looks so gross! Please don't do that to me. ;)I'll probably ask you to after a while. I'm glad you were able to enjoy yourself.

jenaprn08 said...

I have a friend who was having problems with sleeping and stress--he was working nights in the ED--and one of the techs in the ED who had immigrated from Thailand(?) was trained in acupuncture. He said it didn't hurt and really helped him a lot.
Katy's best friend in kindergarten--Timmy, was from Australia. His Mom was getting certified in acupuncture. I have never tried it, but it sounds like it can be helpful.

Lilypie