CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Top 10 Myths about Mental Illness: #7

Myth #7: Depression and other illnesses, such as anxiety disorders, do not affect children or adolescents. Any problems they have are just a part of growing up.

Fact: Children and adolescents can develop severe mental illnesses. In the United States, one in ten children and adolescents has a mental disorder severe enough to cause impairment. However, only about 20 percent of these children receive needed treatment. Left untreated, these problems can get worse. Anyone talking about suicide should be taken very seriously.

As if teenage years aren't hard enough, right?

There's a huge need for treatment providers for adolescents with mental illnesses, especially since many of the serious mood disorders begin to present themselves during this time.

I always appreciated adults who took me and my emotions seriously when I was an adolescent/teenager, especially my mom.

Emotions are real no matter what age you are; as is mental illness.

2 comments:

Joan said...

Maybe that's part of why so many teenagers turn to recreational drugs and alcohol. Or anybody does, for that matter.

jenaprn08 said...

Teens may not be grown ups, but they have issues we need to take seriously. I enjoy caring for teens and try not to minimize their concerns...I remember being that age and I had a pretty good understanding of what was difficult for me. You did,too. We want to be independent but we also know when we are overwhelmed.

Lilypie